The strait was dug during the Austro-Hungarian rule in 1883. It is known that it was 10 m (30 feet) wide and approximately 3 m (10 feet) deep. The bridge was built in 1971/72 and its length amounted to 210 m (700 feet). Simultaneously with the construction of the bridge, the strait was widened and deepened, so its width was increased to 20 m (60 feet) and its height to 16.5 m (54 feet).
During the reconstruction of the bridge in 2009, three concrete pillars were replaced by an arched steel construction, which additionally widened the strait to 56 m (180 f.) and increased its height to 17 m (56 f.).